Annecy to Montmin to Nice, France

Today we are at Annecy, France at the base of the French Alps. We headd in to town to find some breakfast. No cafes open in the main centre, so we walked through to the old town where we stumbled on a street of market stalls of fresh fruit, veges, produce, cheese, etc. We found a little bakery and bought our croissants for breakfast and some cheese baguettes for lunch. After getting no further information from the tourist bureau we headed in the direction of DBs walk for today. We eventually made it to the town of Montmin, very few houses and narrow roads we found our way to the start of the track. From just outside of Montmin at 1300m above sea level, we headed off on our walk up and up again. Our original destination was to the top of La Tournette 2300m above sea level but with time and the weather against us we changed our destination to one of the huts on the way. We don’t do this very well but were trying to be sensible as we had a long drive at the end of the day. It was also only 7° and the wind was howling. We walked on a rocky path up 500m over 2.2km in distance. For a change we just took it slowly and it took about an hour. Decision time whilst we ate a late lunch. It was still cold and windy and the dark clouds had rolled in, with a sprinkle of rain we erred on the side of caution and decided to head back down as it would be a very steep, slippery, cold descent if the rain got heavy. DB waited until we were half back down before telling me there were 360° views at the top, Oh well, maybe next time. It still took about 50mins to reach the car, annoyingly the clouds had lifted a little and the wind dropped off so we may have been able to complete the walk to the top had we been able to predict this. Time for our 5 or so hour drive to Nice. We decided to drive back into Italy and go via Savona because if we didn’t make it to Nice tonight we could drive the Italian Riviera coastline tomorrow. The rain started and set in about 1 hour into the drive. DB decided after about 2.5 hrs that he would make it to Nice. After I booked the hotel the rain and driving conditions worsened. We are still on the way and hopefully will make it tonight, if it gets too bad we will stop and book another hotel for tonight. Luckily we made it. The winds are howling, the surf is raging, some of the streets are covered with water but we are at Nice safe and sound. Thanks DB you are a legend. Six hours driving in not nice conditions.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *